Thursday 5 November 2015

Malta's Swimming with Dolphin Experience | Throwback

As my throwback I want to retell my story of meeting the dolphins.

In August 2008 my trampoline broke after 2 years of treating it as a climbing frame. A week (no lie) later, I received a letter from the company who made it saying there was a fault with the trampoline and they wanted to send me a new one in the box. I was low on money and out of work and I wanted to go to Malta with my Mum and Auntie… so I sold the brand new trampoline and booked my plane ticket to the small Island. 

At this moment in my life, my biggest dream was to swim with the dolphins. In my mind, it was only possible to do this in Fiji or Hawaii etc, so when my Mum told me that Malta's Marine Park was not only near a Water Park but you could actually Swim with the dolphins there, it was like a dream come true! 

For under £100, I got to feed the dolphins, stroke them, being pulled in the water by them and swim next to them. They're HUGE!!! and so tender and sweet. I do feel the dolphins at the park was treated well and cared for. 

I have since watched the documentary called Blackfish. If you haven't watched it, I would recommend getting some tissues and putting it on. It's hard but needed. Orca's turned into one of my favourite animals after that documentary and SeaWorld turned into the devil. I don't regret swimming with the dolphins and I have done it 3 times now… would I do it now I've watched Blackfish, definitely not in an aquarium. I would in the Sea though, as long as they're kept there. I have strong feelings on Orca's being in aquariums but mixed with dolphins as they're smaller! I do think it's a dream come true to come so close to these creatures though and it should definitely be on everyone's bucket list as long as it's under the correct environment and care. 



No comments:

Post a Comment